Despite hair loss being more commonly associated with men, the American Hair Loss Association has found that forty percent of women make up American hair loss sufferers. With hair loss being such a common problem amongst both men and women, it is unsurprising that such a large amount of people are looking for quick-fix, DIY remedies to reduce hair fall and promote hair growth.
Some of the increasingly popular DIY hair loss solutions include;
- Following a well-balanced, nutrient rich diet. Eating organic foods, super-foods such as chia seeds and protein rich foods is highly encouraged.
- Similarly avoiding harmful foods which are high in sugar, alcohol and processed foods is also advised.
- Taking supplements such as fish oil, pumpkin seed oil, biotin and zinc vitamins. These are all thought to encourage healthy, thick and faster hair growth.
- Massaging the scalp regularly with essential oils to increase cellular metabolism which can stimulate hair growth.
- Reduce emotional stress, as stress can increase hormones which can push hair follicles into the resting phase which leads to an increased amount of hair fall
Do these DIY hair loss solutions work?
To some extent these hair loss solutions may improve hair growth or prevent some hair fall, however it is important to understand that treating the underlying cause of the hair loss is essential if you want to see lasting and noticeable results.
The four main causes of hair loss include;
- Hereditary causes
- Hormonal changes
- Underlying medical conditions
Speak to your doctor or a hair loss expert so that you can correctly diagnose the cause of your hair loss before moving onto treatment.
Proven hair loss solutions
Currently there are some proven hair loss solutions available which can tackle hair thinning and promote hair regrowth. Two of the most popular medical solutions which have also been FDA approved include Minoxidil and Finasteride.
Minoxidil is available as a topical solution and should be applied twice daily to balding areas on the scalp, it can be used by both men and women to promote hair regrowth and prevent hair fall. Finasteride is a pill which is to be taken orally once a day and can promote hair regrowth in men who suffer from male pattern baldness. There are also a range of other clinically proven treatments ranging from Low Level Laser Therapy to Scalp Micropigmentation.