If you find that you are losing large amounts of hair on a regular basis, it can be quite traumatic and stressful to deal with. Unfortunately, genetics are known to play a large role in the onset of male pattern baldness and there is not much that you can do to change this. However, despite having a genetic predisposition to hair loss there are some steps that you can take to delay the onset of balding.
Causes of balding
There are factors such as diet, stress and medications which are known to contribute to hair loss. Hair follicles are quite temperamental; therefore whenever anything upsets the balance of the body, hair loss can be triggered.
Male pattern baldness often presents with the typical thinning of hair on the crown of the head and a receding hairline from the temples. It is caused by a gene which can make hair follicles more sensitive to the effects and presence of the hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Over time, hair follicles miniaturise and hair growth stops.
Hair loss treatments
Although there is currently no cure for male pattern baldness, there are numerous treatments which can help to slow down hair loss, promote some hair regrowth and improve the overall appearance of hair which is thinning. Some of the popular hair loss treatments are as follow;
- Minoxidil, easily available as a topical solution, Minoxidil is used to tackle hair loss in both men and women. The compound is absorbed by the hair follicles and works by strengthening the roots and producing healthier, stronger hair
- Finasteride, available in tablet form for men, Finasteride works by blocking the effects of dihydrotestosterone (DHT)which is known to contribute to the onset of male pattern baldness
- Low Level Light Therapy (LLLT), this therapy uses laser devices to decrease signs of inflammation, stimulate and increase blood flow to the scalp and to cellularly strengthen hair roots
- Scalp Micro Pigmentation (SMP), a technique in which pigments are deposited onto the scalp to give the natural looking appearance of closely cropped hair.
- Surgical Hair Transplant, a surgical procedure in which hair follicles are grafted from healthy ‘donor’ sites and implanted into the areas of hair loss on the head.
For more information about hair loss treatments and how you can tackle balding, speak to a doctor or hair loss expert.